Ten Commandments of Parrot Ownership
1. My life is likely to last thirty years or more.
Any separation from you will be painful to me.
Remember that before you take me home.
2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.
3. Place your trust in me. It's crucial to my well-being.
4. Don't be angry with me for long, and don't lock me up as
You have your work, your entertainment and your
friends. I have only you.
5. Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your
words, I do understand your voice when it is speaking
6. Be aware, that however you treat me, I will never forget.
7. Remember, before you hit me, that I have a beak that
could easily crush your hand. But, I choose not to bite
8. Before you scold me for being un-cooperative, obstinate
or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me.
Perhaps, I am not getting the right food or have been in
my cage too long.
9. Go with me on my last journey. Never say "I can't bear
to watch it" or "Let it happen in my absence". Everything
is easier for me if you are there. Remember, "I love you".
10. Take care of me when I get old. You will get old too.
Remember, I had no choice between you and freedomů